Was it the Corona pandemic which forced us to re-think, or was it the increasingly faster turning market, VUCA, disruption etc., what made clear that we need to do something essential to also in future continue playing a role in the market? Whether we need to consolidate, concentrate on our key competences, or whether we need to grow, expand to not become a take-over candidate, or rather to “dress up the bride”?
Reasons are multifold, but in consequence the situations are pretty similar for companies: It always takes big and critical Transformation and Change projects or even programs that must not fail because they afford big investments, show their results mid- and long-term, and are crucial for the future.
And in only very few cases these changes come with internal key competence available. That is why there is an intensive search for new, skilled and experienced staff everywhere, but these are at least as rare as qualified practitioners. Some may do hard with externals because they are presumably expensive, and the know how should be built up internally, not taken away again after work is done.
To avoid the latter an interim (program) manager is recommended who sets up the program and later will hand over to an internal (potentially just hired) employee. But watch out: freelancers in this topic are rare as well and headhunted; the big consultancy firms are much more expensive and not necessarily better. However, this approach bears many advantages:
- You will have more time to assess and chose a really qualified permanent candidate
- You actually will receive the benefits from the function assigned ad interim immediately (time-to-market !)
- The position will be prepared optimally for the internal colleague to come so that he/she can start most efficiently
- The interim manager’s work will also be a benchmark for new colleagues
- You receive a proven professional contact to cover future peaks and for “sparring” with your employees and organization
I already filled this position successfully a few times, at corporate or business unit transformations, mergers, process optimizations and digitalization. Calculate a longer time for the change because changing – especially the minds – needs time and patience, and be focused on the support’s quality. It’s worth it: The Art of Project Management Excellence – Mastery matters !