It takes more than an experienced project manager to rescue a troubled project:
- What’s most scarce at a project recovery is time. The Project Doctor must be able to ramp up extremely short-term. Affinity and understanding of the project context is key, industry expertise not necessarily. There are always nearly the same mistakes happening in all industries…
- Project recovery is for absolute hands in the project management subject. They need deepest methodologic competence far beyond normal project management, i.e. not only knowledge but comprehension, and safe application of project and programme management and agile methods.
- To quickly find effective measures for recovery it takes much experience in rescuing distressed projects: proficient identification of the main reasons and corresponding adequate measures.
- At troubled projects often nerves are strained. To succeed the Project Doctor must bring along high leadership skills, knowledge of human nature and much empathy in Stakeholder Management.
- This also involves distinct conflict resolution, moderation and mediation abilities.
- Sometimes the devil or the agreement is in the detail. That’s why a good legal appreciation for contract set up and interpretation in the cultural context is an important asset for a Project Doctor and his client.
- Projects in distress often require changes in many areas. Therefore a Project Doctor who is also an expert in Change, Supplier, Contract, and Claim Management is an advantage.
- And finally a Project Doctor need a “solid back“, independence and readiness for confrontation. He must not fear “high-ups”.